Tuna casserole can be made with canned tuna, mushrooms, peas and noodles in a creamy sauce topped with toasted breadcrumbs. This is so good and you can easily adapt this with different vegetables, swap the tuna for chicken or use whole wheat noodles. The video shows you how to make homemade tuna noodle casserole. There is no canned soup in this recipe; you make it from scratch. But this comfort food classic is remarkably easy to make. However it is higher in calories and so you may prefer to try the lighter version. The recipe for the lighter version is below the video.
Lighter Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 6 oz no-yolk noodles (or brown rice pasta for gluten free)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, minced fine
- 3 tbsp flour (for gluten free use rice flour)
- 1 3/4 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 oz sherry (optional)
- 10 oz sliced baby mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen petite peas (thawed)
- 2 (5 oz) cans tuna in water, drained
- 4 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar
- butter flavoured cooking spray
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
- Cook noodles in salted water until al dente, or slightly undercooked by 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large deep pan.
- Add onions and cook on medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and a pinch of salt and stir well, cooking an additional 2-3 minutes on medium-low heat
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly spray 9 x 12 casserole with butter flavoured cooking spray.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until well combined, increasing heat to medium and whisking well for 30 seconds, then add the milk and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, add sherry, mushrooms and petite peas, adjust salt and pepper to taste and simmer on medium, mixing occasionally until it thickens (about 7 to 9 minutes).
- Add drained tuna, stirring another minute.
- Remove from heat and add 1 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar and mix well until it melts.
- Add the noodles to the sauce and mix well until evenly coated.
- Pour into casserole and top with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Spray a little more cooking spray and top and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Place under the grill for a few minutes to get the crumbs crisp (careful not to burn).
Serves 6 – Serving Size: 1/6th – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 318, Fat: 7g, Protein: 27g, Carbohydrate: 34g, Fibre: 4g