Home made ham and pea soup – a hearty, soul-warming bowl of dull green brilliance. No matter how often you make it, this has to be on everyone’s top 10 soups of all-time list. This soup is a satisfying, delicious meal and very high in fibre. A perfect soup for a cool evening.
Lower Calorie Pea & Ham Soup
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 400g frozen peas
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 200g lean ham, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tarragon sprigs to serve
- Add the onion, potato, stock and peas to a large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the fresh tarragon and blend the soup until smooth.
- Stir in the ham, reserving some for garnish, and bring back to the boil.
- Season to taste and sprinkle with the remaining ham and tarragon sprigs before serving.
Serves 6 – Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 183, Fat: 6g, Protein: 11g, Carbohydrate: 22g, Fibre: 7g