An Apple Cake is a perfect dessert, with chunks of apples, nuts, and raisins, all wrapped in a cinnamon-laced batter. This cake is best served warm from the oven with a (lower calorie) dollop of softly whipped cream or a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. Absolutely delicious.
~ Lower Calorie Apple Cake ~
- 3/4 cup sugar, granulated
- 1/2 cup yoghurt, nonfat, vanilla
- 1/4 cup oil, cooking
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 1/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 pounds apples, cored and coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 1 cup coconut, flaked
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon sugar, brown (packed)
- 2 tablespoon milk, fat-free
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line two 8 x 4 x 2 inch loaf pans with foil; coat foil with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together granulated sugar, yoghurt, oil, egg, the 1 teaspoon cinnamon, the vanilla, baking powder, salt, baking soda, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Stir in flour just until combined.
- Fold in apples (batter will be very thick and chunky).
- Spoon batter into prepared pans; spread evenly.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean and tops are browned.
- In a small saucepan, combine coconut, butter, brown sugar, milk, and the 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Cook and stir over low heat until the butter is melted.
- Preheat grill after removing cakes from oven.
- Gently spread coconut mixture evenly over tops of cakes.
- Grill 4 inches from heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until topping is bubbly and lightly browned.
- Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 45 minutes.
- Use foil to lift cakes from pans; remove foil.
- Serve warm.
Serves 16 – Serving Size 1/16 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 186, Fibre: 1g, Fat: 9g, Carbohydrate: 26g, Protein: 2g