Tomatoes, eggs and spring onions are always a winning combination and these easy open faced breakfast sandwiches made on a whole wheat English muffin with eggs and spring onions are topped with tomatoes and melted cheese – delicious! This video recipe shows you how to make sunny-side-up egg (no flipping) with melted extra-sharp cheddar and sliced tomato. You also get a satisfying crunch from a toasted English muffin.
Lower Calorie Egg And Tomato Breakfast Melts
- 2 whole grain English muffins, split
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 egg whites, whisked
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 oz (about 1/2 cup) reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, grated
- 1/2 cup grape or cherry heirloom tomatoes, quartered
- Preheat the grill and place muffins, cut side up, on a baking sheet and grill for 2 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown on edges.
- Heat a medium frying pan on medium heat.
- Add oil and sauté 3 of the spring onions about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the egg whites, season with salt and pepper and cook, mixing with a wooden spoon until cooked through.
- Divide on toasted muffins and top with tomatoes, cheese and remaining spring onions.
- Grill for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until cheese has melted, careful not to burn.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1 breakfast melt – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 160, Fat: 5g, Carbohydrate: 16g, Fibre: 3g, Protein: 15g, Sugar: 4g