The best way to sustain weight loss is all about a lifestyle change and a dedicated approach to healthy eating. But there are also easy ways to cut your calories and with a few simple swaps it is easy to make up your five portions of fruit or veg per day.
Making small changes to your diet is the healthiest and most achievable way to lose weight.
10 Small Changes – Big Results!
- Swap from whole milk to semi-skimmed, 1% fat or
even skimmed milk.
- Swap a sugar-coated breakfast cereal for a whole grain breakfast cereal such as porridge or shredded whole grain wheat cereal with no added sugar.
- Swap a sprinkle of sugar on your breakfast cereal for a topping of fresh or dried fruit, which counts towards one of your five a day.
- Swap full-fat Greek yoghurt for lower-fat or fat-free Greek yoghurt, or natural low-fat yoghurt.
- Swap butter and cheese in your jacket potato for reduced fat spread and reduced salt and sugar baked beans.
- Swap creamy or cheesy sauces for tomato or vegetable based sauces on your pasta, meat or fish dishes.
- Swap mashed potato made with butter and whole milk for
mash with low-fat spread and a lower-fat milk such as semi-skimmed, 1% fat or skimmed.
- Choose leaner cuts of meat: for example, swap streaky bacon for back bacon.
- Swap the frying pan for the grill when cooking meat.
- Swap a coffee made with whole milk to a “skinny” coffee made with semi-skimmed or skimmed milk.