This is a classic comfort dinner food. Adding veggies to your tuna, replacing the full fat cheese and mayonnaise with light mayo and cheese and serving it opened faced makes this classic sandwich lower in fat. Use your favourite whole grain bread and serve with a salad or a cup of soup on the side.
- 1 4.5 oz can tuna (in water) drained
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1 tbsp red onion, minced
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices light whole wheat bread
- 2 slices 2% cheese
- 2 slices tomato
- oil spray
- Combine tuna, celery, carrots, onion, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large pan over low heat.
- Spray the pan with oil.
- Place two slices of bread on top.
- Top bread with cheese, then tuna salad and tomato.
- Cook on low heat until cheese melts and bread gets toasty.
- Serve immediately.
Serves 2 – Serving Size: 1 opened face sandwich – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 231, Fat: 6g, Protein: 28g, Carbohydrate: 14g, Fibre: 4g