Breaded shrimp topped with pomodoro sauce and melted mozzarella cheese on French bread. Hot sandwiches make a fabulous meal, and shrimp parm heroes are delicious! But with it’s deep fried shrimp and masses of cheese and sauce this can be really high in calories so this lightened version uses a healthy breaded shrimp recipe, part-skim mozzarella cheese and you can serve it with extra sauce on the side to dip. The video shows you how to make the shrimp and the lower calorie recipe follows the video.
For the shrimp
- 16 oz jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (weight after peeling 12.5 oz)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 6 tbsp whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp panko
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Put the egg substitute in one bowl, and the breadcrumbs, panko and parmesan cheese in another.
- Wash and dry the shrimp.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper, then put a few at a time in the bowl with the egg substitute to coat.
- Put a few pieces of shrimp at a time into the breadcrumb mixture to coat, then on a baking sheet. Once all the shrimp is breaded, if you still have crumbs left, re-dip the shrimp back into the egg and then back into crumbs and back onto the baking sheet.
- Spray the top of the shrimp generously with baking spray then bake in the middle rack for about 6-7 minutes.
- Turn shrimp over then cook another 3 minutes or until cooked though. Remove from oven and serve right away.
For the sandwich
- 1/2 cup your favourite tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 12 oz French bread, sliced into 4 pieces
- Follow cooking directions for the baked shrimp recipe.
- Preheat oven to 425° or set your grill to low.
- When shrimp is cooked, divide shrimp equally between 4 pieces of bread.
- Top each sandwich with 2 tbsp of sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place sandwiches on a cookie sheet and heat in the oven or grill until the cheese melts; 2 – 3 minutes, careful not to burn if using the grill.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1 hero – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 433, Fat: 8 g, Protein: 29 g, Carbohydrate: 57 g, Fibre: 3 g
Scoop out some of the bread to make larger sandwiches for fewer calories.