When you eat sugar, it stimulates the release of dopamine in your brain, which makes you feel pleasure. The brain recognizes and likes this feeling and begins to crave more. Many cravings revolve around sugary foods in particular so understanding the root of your sugar cravings can make them a whole lot easier to curb.
- Have a glass of water – Some people say that cravings can be caused by dehydration.
- Eat fruit – Having a piece of fruit may help satisfy sugar cravings for some people. Bananas, apples, oranges work great.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners – If you feel that artificial sweeteners trigger cravings for you, then you might want to avoid them.
- Eat more protein – Protein is great for satiety, may help with cravings as well.
- Sleep well – Getting proper, refreshing sleep is important for overall health and can help prevent cravings.
- Avoid excess stress – Avoiding stress can help prevent cravings.
- Don’t starve yourself – Try to prevent yourself from becoming too hungry between meals.