Zucchini hollowed out and stuffed with lean Italian sausage, then topped with marinara and cheese. There’s no tastier way to use up extra zucchini. Watch how to make zucchini stuffed with sausage, seasoned ground beef, and a rich tomato sauce.
- 1 1/4 cups marinara sauce
- 4 (31 oz total) medium zucchini
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 14 oz lean Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing
- 1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella
- 8 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller,
scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4″ thick.
- Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside.
- Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
- Place 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12″ baking dish, and place zucchini halves cut side up.
- In a large sauté pan, brown sausage, breaking up as it cooks into smaller pieces until browned; set aside. Heat oil and add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add chopped zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill each hollowed zucchini with 1/3 cup cooked sausage, pressing firmly.
- Top each with 2 tablespoons each of sauce, 1 tablespoon each of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon each of parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
Serves 8 (1 boat) – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 153, Fat: 7g, Protein: 12g, Carbohydrate: 9g, Fibre: 2g, Sugar: 2g