Lomo Salatado is a classic Peruvian recipe made with strips of sirloin seasoned with cumin, stir fried with tomatoes, red onion, soy sauce, cilantro and finished with French fries. Many people avoid eating potato, but one medium-size, skin-on potato is just 110 calories, has no fat, sodium or cholesterol, and it provides 45 percent of your daily value of vitamin C and has more potassium than a banana! It’s also rich in fibre, potassium and magnesium. So don’t blame the potato – it’s often the preparation and toppings that add fat and calories.
Lower Calorie Peruvian Beef Stir Fry
For the Beef
- 1/2 lb lean sirloin, cut into small, thin strips
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into thick strips
- 2 mini yellow bell peppers or 1 large
- 1 large jalapeno, ribbed and seeded, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium tomato, sliced into wedges
- 1 1/2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
For the Baked Fries
- cooking spray
- 1 medium (5.3 oz) potato, washed and dried
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut the potato lengthwise into 1/3-inch thick slices; cut each slice into 1/3-inch fries.
- Place on the baking sheet and toss with oil to evenly coat.
- Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Place on a single layer onto the greased baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered on the lower third of the oven for about 25 minutes or until tender crisp and golden.
- Season meat with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Heat a large wok over high heat.
- When hot add the oil and the steak, cook about 2 minutes, until browned on both sides.
- Add the onions, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato, soy sauce and vinegar and cook 1 more minute.
- Season with more salt as needed, remove from heat and finish with cilantro.
- Serve immediately with french fries and divide evenly between 2 plates.
Serves 2 – Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 309, Fat: 9g, Carbohydrate: 28g, Fibre: 4g, Protein: 28g, Sugar: 3g