This is a favourite pasta dish, great for those nights you forget to defrost something, or if you need to whip up a quick inexpensive yet healthy meal. A guaranteed way to get picky eaters to love their broccoli is by roasting it with garlic and olive oil. Reserve some of your pasta water before you drain it, to add to the pasta after it’s tossed with the broccoli to stop the pasta from getting too dry, without having to add more olive oil. Add some crushed red pepper if you like it a little spicy.
- 8 oz high fibre or low carb pasta
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli florets
- 6-8 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and fresh pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Pecorino Romano
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a baking dish combine broccoli, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Roast broccoli about 20 minutes, tossing half way, until broccoli is browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, boil salted water in a large pot.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- Before draining, reserve 1 cup of the water from the pasta.
- Drain and toss pasta with broccoli.
- Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water (or more if necessary), Pecorino Romano, salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1/4 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 336, Fat: 10.4 g, Protein: 13.0 g, Carbohydrate: 57 g, Fibre: 11.7 g