This is a quick and easy meal, perfect for Meatless Mondays! Using a variety of mushrooms gives nice textures and flavour and the Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste helps to get some of that beef flavour. The bonus of making it without the beef is that you can eat more for less calories and fat.
~ Lower Calorie Mushroom Stroganoff ~
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth (or beef if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 5 oz sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 8 oz sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 3.5 oz Shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp white wine or sherry
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 8 oz uncooked noodles
- 1 tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Cook noodles in a pot of salted water according to package directions, if you under-cook them a bit, when you mix them with the sauce they will finish cooking.
- Meanwhile, while the water starts to boil for the noodles, heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Melt butter over medium heat and add onions to the pan. Cook 2 – 3 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add flour; stir with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds. Gradually add broth, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste, stirring constantly.
- Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper; stir and cook 4-5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Add wine; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand 30 seconds.
- Stir in sour cream; add noodles, mix well and garnish with parsley if desired.
You can top your Stroganoff with grated Parmesan cheese. This is completely optional, but it does make any noodle dish go from good to great!
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups Nutrition per Serving
Calories: 268, Fat: 3g, Carbohydrate: 52g, Fibre: 7g, Protein: 12g, Sugar: 4g