Carbonara is an Italian pasta dish from Rome based on eggs, cheese, bacon, and black pepper. This great family favourite has been given a ‘light’ makeover, yet it is still lovely and creamy and full of flavour.
This video shows you how to cook a filling and healthy ham and zucchini cabonara.
- 300g pasta
- 1 spray low fat cooking spray
- 4 rashers medium back bacon, snipped into pieces
- 1 medium spring onion, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced in half
- 250 g medium fat soft cheese, with herbs
- 1 medium egg
- 150 ml skimmed milk
- 30 g Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil.
- Add the pasta and cook for about 8 minutes, until just tender, or follow pack instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan and mist it with low fat cooking spray.
- Add the bacon and spring onions and sauté them with the garlic clove for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Discard the garlic clove.
- Beat the soft cheese and egg together in a mixing bowl, then add the bacon and spring onions, stirring until combined.
- Add the milk, half the Parmesan cheese and the parsley.
- Season to taste.
- Drain the pasta, then return it to the saucepan with the liquid.
- Stir in the egg mixture and heat gently for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring, until the mixture has cooked and thickened.