Juicy, spicy, and deliciously fun, these recipes give chicken on a stick a flavourful twist and are a wonderful high protein, low fat, low carb, low calorie, gluten-free main dish salad! To make this Paleo-friendly, leave the cheese out.
~ Lower Calorie Mediterranean Chicken Kebab Salad ~
1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
For the marinade:
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 1 1/4 cups cucumber, peeled
- 1 1/4 cups diced tomato
- 1/4 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh dillweed
- 1 tsp fresh parsley
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, grated (omit for paleo)
- lemon wedges for serving
- Marinate the chicken at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water at least 30 minutes if grilling outdoors.
- Combine the first 12 salad ingredients (cucumbers through salt and black pepper, not the lettuce) and set aside in the refrigerator to let the flavours set.
- Thread chicken on 4 skewers and cook on a hot grill (indoor or outdoor grill) until chicken is cooked though, about 10-12 minutes.
- Divide lettuce between four plates, top with tomato-cucumber salad, fresh grated feta cheese and grilled chicken.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1/4th – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 240, Fat: 8 g, Protein: 28 g, Carbohydrate: 9 g, Fibre: 2.5 g, Sugar: 2 g