This lower calorie recipe cuts the fat by 75% and calories by half, but it still tastes divine. You’ve probably tried the fully loaded version of this elegant, espresso-soaked sponge cake dessert, which is enveloped in rich layers of buttery mascarpone and sweetened whipped cream. Find out how to make tiramisu, the classic Italian dessert!
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup ground dark roast coffee
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons coffee-flavoured liqueur, divided
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
- 24 crisp ladyfingers (1 [7-ounce] package)
- 3/4 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely grated
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil, and remove from heat.
- Add coffee; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into a medium bowl; discard solids. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolks, and 1 tablespoon liqueur in the top of a double boiler, stirring well with a whisk.
- Cook over simmering water, whisking constantly, until thick about 9 minutes. Remove from heat; refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until medium peaks form.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- With a mixer on low speed, carefully pour hot syrup over egg whites. Gradually increase speed to high; beat for 2 minutes or until stiff peaks form (do not overmix).
- Combine egg yolk mixture, cream cheese, and mascarpone cheese in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into cream cheese mixture; gently fold remaining egg white mixture into cream cheese mixture.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon liqueur to coffee. Quickly dip 12 ladyfingers into coffee mixture; arrange in the bottom of an 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
- Spread half of cream cheese mixture over ladyfingers. Sprinkle with half of chocolate. Repeat procedure with the remaining ladyfingers, coffee mixture, and cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining chocolate.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
Serves 10 – Serving Size 1/10 recipe – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 234, Fat: 10.6 g, Protein: 7.1 g, Carbohydrate: 28.4 g, Fibre: 0.2 g