This creamy and delicious fish pie topped with fluffy mashed potatoes neither looks nor tastes low fat. This is comfort food at its best, and highly nutritious, too. Serve with your favourite vegetables for a low calorie and healthy meal. The video recipe shows you how to make an easy fish pie baked with spinach and topped with a potato crust
Low Fat Fish Pie
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water or nonfat milk
- 1 pound cod fillet, cut into four pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup frozen sweet corn
For the Topping:
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup non fat milk
- 1 tbsp light butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat to medium and cook potatoes until tender—about 15-20 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, bring 1 cup of nonfat milk to a simmer in a medium frying pan. Add onion, and season with pepper. Gently place fish in the pan and cook on low-medium heat until fish flakes easily with a fork—about 10 minutes.
- Remove fish and place in an 8 x 8 baking dish. Cut into small chunks. Sprinkle parsley, peas and sweet corn over the fish.
- Dissolve 1 tbsp cornstarch in 1/4 cup milk and add to the pan. Stir and cook on low heat until thickened. Pour sauce over fish and vegetables.
- Drain water from potatoes, add milk and butter, then mash until smooth. Spread mashed potato on top of the fish, and use a fork to fluff the potato.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the top browns slightly and the filling bubbles.
Serves 6 – Nutrition Per Serving:
Calories 240, Calories from Fat 16, Carbohydrate 36g, Fibre 5g, Protein 21g