Kheema is a traditional Indian dish made of spiced ground meat, usually combined with peas or potatoes. It is usually made with chicken or lamb, but it’s also great with ground turkey or beef.
This dish is easy to make, tastes great and if you serve this with white or brown rice you have a complete meal. As a bonus the leftovers make great stuffed peppers!
Lower Calorie Lamb Kheema With Peas
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- 2 tsp butter or ghee
- 1 lb lean ground lamb (from loin or shoulder)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 chili pepper, minced (or more to taste)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and fresh pepper
- In a large pan, heat ghee or butter and onions on medium heat. Cook about 8 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook another 2 minutes.
- Add ground meat to pan and brown. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cayenne, chili powder, turmeric, garam masala and cinnamon. Stir well.
- Add chopped chili pepper, cilantro, bay leaf, tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of water.
- Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer about 15 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and simmer covered another 5-10 minutes.
Serves 4 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 240, Fat: 14g, Carbohydrate: 13g, Fibre: 3g, Protein: 16g, Sugar: 3g