This salad is easily adaptable to anyone’s taste, if you don’t like proscuitto you can swap it for ham or turkey, or leave it out altogether and add more cheese and olives. This quick Italian salad requires no cooking, which makes it perfect to whip up or pack for lunch.
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 thin slice red onion
- 4 green pitted olives (or black)
- 1 pepperoncini, sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup Giardiniera
- 1/3 cup cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup part skim shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 oz turkey pepperoni, sliced thin
- 2 slices Prosciutto, sliced
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar or vinegar brine from pepperoncini
- fresh black pepper
Cold antipasto is usually the first course of an Italian meal, which consists of a variety of cold meats, cheeses, olives, roasted peppers, and a variety of colourful vegetables that have been pickled in vinegar known as Giardiniera and pepperoncini. This adds so much flavour to the salad that you really don’t need to add a lot of oil.
- Place the lettuce on a large dish and top with meats, vegetables and cheese.
- In a small bowl add vinegar or brine from pepperoncini, add black pepper and whisk in oil.
- Drizzle over salad and enjoy!
Serves 1 – Serving Size: 1 salad – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 254, Fat: 16g, Carbohydrate: 20g, Fibre: 8g, Protein: 16g, Sugar: 3g