If you are trying to cut down on calories then give these super yummy baked apples a try! Simple and easy to make, this twist on the apple crumble is unbelievably good. Choose firm apples with sweet-tart flavour, such as Pink Lady or Honeycrisp, otherwise they may fall apart!
- 2 large firm apples, peeled, cored, and halved vertically
- Cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 2½ tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups low fat vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Starting at the outermost edges, cut most (but not all) of the way
through each apple half at 1/8 – inch intervals.
- Place apple halves, cut sides down, in an 8-inch square glass or
ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon; brush mixture evenly over apple.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Remove pan from oven; cool 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, remaining 1½ tablespoons butter, remaining ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, oats, flour, and salt.
- Carefully fan open apple halves. Spoon oat mixture evenly over apples.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream.
Serves 4 (serving size: 1 apple half and a scoop of ice cream) – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 260; Fat: 9g; Protein: 3g; Carbohydrate: 43g; Fibre: 3g