Cannoli’s are a delicious Italian treat that are easy to make, and can be made in advance of when you need them. Pizzelle cookies are an Italian favourite, they are flat, round cookies that are generally cooked on a flat iron. All you have to do then is to fill the shells right before serving.
- 18 Tbsp part-skim ricotta cheese, (1 cup plus 2 Tbsp)
- 1/2 cup lite whipped topping
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp orange zest, finely grated
- 3/4 oz 60-69% dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 vanilla pizzelle (3-4″)
- Line a mesh strainer with a paper coffee filter or piece of cheesecloth; set over a small bowl.
- Add ricotta; cover with plastic wrap and top with a heavy can.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour to drain.
- In another small bowl, combine drained ricotta, whipped topping, sugar, vanilla and orange zest; fold in chocolate and set aside.
- Microwave cookies, one at a time, on a paper plate for 20-30 seconds.
- Immediately remove warm cookie and wrap around a utensil handle (such as a peeler) to form a shell (or carefully shape shells with your hands).
- Let cool; repeat with remaining cookies.
- Spoon or pipe the filling into each cookie shell and serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 cannoli
The cannoli filling can be made up to a day ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container. Assemble just before serving. If you don’t want to buy pizzelles, this video shows you how to make them.