Having a simple one pot dish is perfect for the busy cook! This is a quick version of the traditional Moroccan Tagine dish. North African flavours enhance this simple stew-like dish – a great recipe for mid-week supper.
Easy Chicken Tagine
- 4 chicken thighs (or more for larger appetites)
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- handful of coriander, finely chopped
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 2tsp turmeric
- 1tsp allspice
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 500ml/1pt hot veg stock
- 8-10 black and green olives
- ½ a lemon, roughly chopped
- Add chicken pieces to a dish, then mix together 1tbsp of oil with garlic, coriander, ginger, turmeric, allspice and some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour mixture over chicken and turn to coat, so it is completely covered.
- Leave for 30 mins if time allows, or covered overnight in fridge.
- Heat remaining oil in a large, heavy-based pot and add onion and cook for about 5 mins, until softened.
- Then raise heat a little and add chicken, skin-side down, along with all coating, and cook for 5-6 mins, then turn and cook other side for same amount of time.
- Pour over vegetable stock and bubble for 1 min, then
add olives, reduce to a simmer, put lid on and cook for about 30 mins.
- Stir in the lemon.
- Serve with some couscous, bulgar wheat or rice and garnish with coriander leaves if you wish.
Serves 4 – Serving size 1/4 recipe – Nutrition per Serving
Calories: 150, Fat: 8g, Carbohydrate: 2g