This is an easy and delicious recipe for Skinny Chicken Piccata. The chicken is pan seared to a tender golden brown and then drenched in a lemon and caper infused pan sauce. Served over a bed of baby spinach and artichokes this carb free dinner is a perfect example of how delicious clean, healthy eating can be!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder, mixed together
- Extra virgin olive oil to treat the pans
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup brined capers,
- Rinsed bouqet garni made with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme
- 5 cups baby spinach
- 1 8 1/2 oz tin artichoke hearts (not packed in oil)
- Chopped 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and pound until thin.
- Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with the salt, garlic and pepper mixture.
- Prepare a large non stick pan with extra virgin olive oil either by spraying the surface or wiping oil onto the surface using a paper towel.
- Bring the pan to medium high heat and add the chicken breasts to the pan.
- Cook 5 minutes on one side until golden and then turn over. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes and then remove briefly to a platter.
- Add the lemon juice and chicken stock to the hot pan and using a spatula give it a good stir, scraping any brown bits off the bottom to incorporate all that flavour and then add a quarter cup of rinsed capers and the bouquet garnis.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, cover, and continue to simmer on low for five more minutes.
- While the chicken is simmering, treat another non-stick sautee pan with extra virgin olive oil and add the baby spinach and toss frequently.
- As the spinach cooks down a bit, add the artichokes and red pepper flakes.
- Cook the spinach until bright green.
- Remove the chicken to a heated plate and stir 1 tbsp of butter into the pan sauce and whisk well.
- Place the spinach on a plate, place the chicken on top, and pour the pan sauce over all.
- Finish with chopped Italian parsley.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1 piece – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 214, Fat: 5g, Protein: 24g, Carbohydrate: 13g, Fibre: 3g