Today we have two recipes for Cajun Chicken Pasta made with chicken strips, bell peppers, red onion, mushrooms and spring onions in a creamy light sauce. One of the easiest ways to reduce the calories in a pasta dish is to add a lot of protein and vegetables to your dish which keeps the portions large and the carbohydrates low and this dish is a perfect example. This is really good with a salad and some garlic bread.
Lower Calorie Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 pound chicken breast strips
- 1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp light cream cheese
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- salt to taste
- cooking spray
- Prepare all your vegetables.
- In a small blender combine the milk, flour and cream cheese. Set aside.
- Season chicken generously with Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and salt.
- Heat a large heavy nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat; spray with cooking spray and add half of the chicken. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until done, set aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to the pan and reduce to medium; add bell peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet, sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and tomatoes and sauté 3-4 more minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season with 1/4 tsp salt, garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add chicken broth and pour in the milk, flour and cream cheese mixture stirring about 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan; adjust salt and Cajun seasoning to taste, cook another minute or two until hot, then add linguine; toss well to coat.
- Top with chopped spring onions and enjoy!
Serves 5 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 324, Fat: 6g, Protein: 26g, Carbohydrate: 44g, Fibre: 6g, Sugar: 3g