Cream of asparagus is a favourite soup and in this recipe the addition of leeks, spring onions and shallots give a wonderful subtle flavour. The touch of creme fraiche added on top, gives a creamy delicious finish.
Creme fraiche is wonderfully creamy, and a bit thinner than sour cream. You can swap it for sour cream or even Greek yoghurt – if you want to go dairy-free, you can leave it out and it will still taste wonderful.
Lower Calorie Asparagus & Leek Soup
- 2 lbs asparagus (2 bunches) tough ends snapped off
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 leeks, white and pale green only, halved lengthwise, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 oz container + 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp Creme Fraiche
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- optional chives for garnish
- In a large heavy pot, melt better over medium-low heat.
- Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Chop the asparagus into 2 – inch pieces.
- Add to the pot with the leeks.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook about 20 – 25 minutes or until asparagus is very tender.
- Remove from heat and puree until smooth with a blender.
- Adjust salt and pepper, to taste.
- Divide in 5 bowls and spoon in 1 teaspoon Creme Fraiche and chives for garnish.
Serves 5 – Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cups – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 141, Fat: 5g, Carbohydrate: 20g, Fibre: 5g, Protein: 7g, Sugar: 4g