Christmas is on the way and it can be too easy to give way to temptation. Since a weight loss of no more than 1 – 2 pounds per week is generally considered the best way to achieve long-term success, this is also the sensible way to achieve meaningful results. Here are some tips to keep weight gain in check.
Boosting your metabolism, controlling portion sizes, exercising and staying motivated are key factors to losing weight. Whether you have a little weight to lose or a lot, it’s better not to reduce your calorie intake to less than 1200 calories a day. It won’t hamper your weight loss effort by sending your body into starvation mode.
- Exercise – Even if it is just going for a 30 minute walk each day.
- Food – Breaking up your three main meals into 5 – 6 mini meals will keep your metabolism ticking over.
- Track your food – People who track food lose more weight, but they also help identify areas where they can make improvements. So, if you think you’re doing everything right and can’t figure out why you’re not losing the weight, keep a food diary. Having a food diary can be a real eye opener, especially when it comes to portion control.
- Portion control – Use a smaller plate when you eat and you will therefore eat less, no matter what you are having.
- Switch to Low Fat – Low fat dairy scrimps on nothing but the fat and calories, so choose skimmed milk, low fat spreads and cheeses.
- Don’t skip meals – Leaving long gaps between meals can interfere with your weight loss. You may suffer from dips in
your blood sugar and your metabolism will begin to slow.
Stick with five small meals per day.
- Stay Motivated – Hang up the dress you want to wear for a special event where you can see it. Seeing your goal in front of you every day will help maintain the motivation.
Remember – If you fall off the wagon 1 day, then don’t beat yourself up! Just get back on it the next day.