By replacing the lasagna noodles with thin sliced zucchini you can create a delicious, lower carb (gluten-free) lasagna that’s loaded with vegetables, and you won’t miss the pasta! This feeds eight, and is quite filling.
- 1 lb 93% lean beef
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/8″ thick
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 16 oz part-skin mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 large egg
- In a medium sauce pan, brown meat and season with salt.
- When cooked drain in colander to remove any fat.
- Add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic and onions about 2 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan, add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Simmer on low for at least 30-40minutes, covered. Do not add extra water, the sauce should be thick.
- Slice the zucchini into 1/8″ thick slices, add lightly salt and set aside or 10 minutes. Zucchini has a lot of water when cooked, salting it takes out a lot of moisture.
- After 10 minutes, blot excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Grill the zucchini on each side, until cooked, about 1-2 minutes per side. Place on paper towels to soak any excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
- In a 9×12 casserole spread some sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover.
- Then place some of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up.
- Top with sauce and mozzarella and cover with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes covered at 375°, then uncovered 15 minutes.
- Let it stand for about 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
- Using a mandoline is a must to slice the zucchini thin, and it’s quick and easy.
- Grilling the zucchini first greatly improves it by reducing the amount of liquid.
- You also need to soak up as much of the liquid as you can with paper towels before layering the ingredients.
- You can also make the sauce ahead of time if you want to speed this up for a weeknight.
Serves 8 – Serving Size: 1/8 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 345, Fat: 17g, Carbohydrates: 16g, Fibre: 2g, Protein: 36g, Sugar: 8g