You will love these Japanese inspired grilled chicken and zucchini skewers marinated with yakitori sauce and threaded onto bamboo sticks with green onions. They are perfect as an appetizer if you’re having a BBQ this summer, or you can turn it into a meal any night of the week served with rice, salad or more vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons mirin sake
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, all fat trimmed
- 5 large green onions, cut 1-inch-long
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rings
- 18 (10 inch) bamboo skewers
- Bring mirin, low sodium soy sauce, honey and crushed garlic to a boil in a medium-sized sauce pan, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces and place in a ziplock bag; pour half of the
marinade over the chicken.
- Place the zucchini in a second large ziplock bag and pour the remaining
marinade over the zucchini.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak the skewers in water 30 minutes so they don’t burn.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers, alternating with green onion so that each stick has 3 cubes of chicken and two pieced of green onion, discarding the chicken marinade.
- Thread the zucchini onto skewers, alternating with remaining green onion, reserving the marinade for basting.
- Preheat the grill or a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- When hot, spray with oil then reduce heat to medium; grill the zucchini and chicken skewers about 5 to 6 minutes on each side brushing both sides of the skewers with the yakitori sauce during the last few minutes of cooking time.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 3 1/2 chicken skewers, 1 zucchini – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 213.5, Fat: 8.5 g, Carbohydrate: 14 g, Fibre: 1.5 g, Protein: 21 g, Sugar: 10 g
You could also use chicken breast if you prefer white meat.