This Tuna Ceviche is a zesty, flavourful lunch with a Latin flair, made by adding fresh lime juice, cilantro, jalapeño, tomato and avocado to tuna – so good! The first recipe uses fresh tuna and the second recipe uses tinned tuna that is especially good if you need a quick lunch using pantry ingredients.
This recipe is great – inexpensive, low-carb, paleo-friendly, dairy-free and gluten-free!
~ Canned Tuna Ceviche ~
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 1 to 1 1/2 limes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 (7 oz) can chunk tuna packed in water, (5.1 oz drained)
- 1 medium seeded plum tomato, finely diced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, minced (keep seeds for spicy) or you can use pickled
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 2 oz sliced avocado (1/2 medium)
- In a medium bowl, combine the red onion, pinch of salt, juice of 1 lime and olive oil.
- Mix in the chopped cilantro, jalapeño, drained tuna, tomato, and Tabasco, if using.
- Taste for salt and lime juice, adjust as needed (about 1 1/2 limes).
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 20 minutes to let the flavours blend.
- To serve, top with fresh sliced avocado and serve.
Serves 2 – Serving Size: 3/4 cup tuna, 1/4 avocado – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 153, Fat: 8 g, Carbohydrate: 9 g, Fibre: 3 g, Protein: 15 g, Sugar: 1 g
You can put the ceviche tuna into the empty can to use as a ring mould – then tip it onto a plate; completely optional of course! Topped with fresh avocado, this is filling and delicious.