Swiss Steak is a perfect family dinner; it’s easy to make and can be cooked either in the oven or in the slow cooker. This dish has delicious tender beef in a rich tomato gravy and is perfect served over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes!
- 3 pounds round steak
- 2 sliced onions
- 3 stalks sliced celery
- 12 oz canned tomato juice (salted)
- 2 Tablespoons granulated Beef Bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Thickener
- Slice onion and celery
- Place onion in slow cooker
- Place beef on top of onion.
- In a bowl, stir the bouillon into the tomato juice, add garlic
powder and salt and pepper if desired.
- Pour the mixture over the beef, scatter the sliced celery on top.
- Cover slow cooker, set it to low and cook 8 to 10 hours, OR, set it to high and cook for 6 hours.
- After cooking, remove meat from crockpot, mix thickener with enough water to dissolve it, then add to tomato sauce mixture, stir together, and cook until sauce thickens.
Makes twelve servings (approx 3 oz meat)
Nutrition Per Serving – 1 serving (approx 3 oz meat)
Calories: 356, Carbohydrate: 6g, Protein: 34g