Ground turkey sautéed with mixed vegetables, sliced mushrooms and fresh herbs with a savoury garlic sweet potato topping. You can make this dish ahead of when you need it and then bake it in the oven when you are ready to eat. It also freezes and reheats well.
The video shows you how to Cook Sweet Potato Cottage Pie using ground beef – the recipe using turkey is below the video.
~ Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherd’s Pie ~
- 1-1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
For the filling:
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced
- 10 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 tbsp flour (leave out to make gluten-free)
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Boil sweet potatoes and garlic in a pot of salted water until cooked and soft.
- Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large pan brown turkey; season with salt and pepper. When cooked, set aside on a plate.
- Add olive oil to the pan, then add the onion and sauté one minute. Add the celery, parsnip, salt and pepper to taste; cook about 12 minutes, until celery is soft.
- Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté another 3-4 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and mix well. Add frozen vegetables, chicken broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, cooked turkey, and mix well. Simmer on low about 5-10 minutes.
- In 6 oven safe individual dishes spread 1 cup of the meat mixture on the bottom of each dish.
- Top each with 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes. Use a fork to scrape the top of the potatoes to make ridges; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake 20 minutes or until potatoes turn golden.
- Remove from oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 6 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 250, Fat: 6 g, Carbohydrate: 34 g, Fibre: 6 g, Protein: 16 g, Sugar: 3 g