Spring vegetables and chicken breast strips sauteed with fresh ginger, lime juice, and a touch of soy sauce for a quick week night meal. You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand (a great way to clean out the refrigerator) and you can serve it as it is or over brown rice, quinoa, noodles, whatever! This video shows you how to make a healthy chicken stir fry meal for 2 people, step by step and the lower calorie recipe (under 200 calories) follows the video.
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
For the Stir Fry:
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, sliced thin
- salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp rice bran oil, or canola
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 cup carrots, sliced diagonally
- spring onions for garnish
- Combine soy sauce, lime juice, water and cornstarch in a small bowl, mix together and set aside.
- Season chicken lightly with salt.
- Heat a large wok over high heat. When the wok is very hot, add half of the oil, then add the chicken.
- Stir fry, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through and browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok; add the garlic and ginger, stir for 20 seconds.
- Add the sugar snap peas and carrots, stirring over medium high heat until tender crisp, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the wok, add the soy sauce-lime mixture, mix well and cook another 30 seconds to one minute.
- Serve immediately and top with fresh spring onions.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: just under 1 cup – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 179, Fat: 5.6 g, Carbohydrate: 7 g, Fibre: 2 g, Protein: 27 g. Sugar: 1.5 g
This is super quick, so if you plan on making rice to go with this, start that first. This recipe is under 200 calories, Weight Watchers friendly at 5 points, gluten-free, low-carb, clean and can easily be adapted for Paleo.
Paleo note: For those of you who are on a Paleo diet, replace the cornstarch with arrowroot, rice oil with coconut oil and the soy sauce with coconut liquid aminos.