This spicy Thai beef is served as a lettuce wrap with cucumber spears and steamed rice, but you don’t have to eat it that way. You could just toss the rice and the beef in a bowl or it would also be nice wrapped in a warm tortilla with some plain yoghurt drizzled on and some ribbons of fresh basil and chopped cilantro for a fresh bite. No matter what you choose to do with this Thai beef, you are going to love it.
~ Lower Calorie Spicy Thai Beef and Jasmine Rice ~
- 3/4 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 carrots thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (plus more to taste)
- 1 tsp Asian fish sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat a heavy medium pot over high heat.
- Add beef and saute until browned.
- Add onion, spring onions, garlic, crushed red pepper and 1 tbsp soy sauce.
- Saute another 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, red pepper, rice, 2 cups water, fish sauce and remaining soy sauce.
- Reduce to low heat, when the water is almost evaporated, cover.
- Simmer on low about 20 minutes.
- Add cilantro and mix well and keep covered for 10 more minutes.
Serves: 5 – Serving Size: 1 cup – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 287, Fat: 9, Carbohydrates: 38, Fibre: 3g, Protein: 14g