This easy Pasta Puttanesca recipe can be made by a novice cook. In Italian, a puttanesca is a ‘lady of the night’, so named because apparently Italy’s “ladies of the evening” quickly made this dish between clients – however, eating it is a pleasurable experience. In this video Chef Theo Randall shows you how to make a spaghetti alla puttanesca, a salty, tomato based sauce with anchovy and garlic. Theo shows you how to prepare the sauce and the best way to cook the ingredients together.
1 pound box whole grain pasta or gluten-free pasta
- 2 boxes (26 ounces each) chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 8 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped (leave out for vegan version)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Combine tomatoes and olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and add remaining ingredients; stir well to combine and cook on medium-low to medium heat until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot pasta and garnish with additional chopped parsley.