Can you really eat dumplings if you are on a diet? Today we have two lovely vegetable recipes starting with a video recipe that is a step by step tutorial on how to make vegetable stew with dumplings. The lower calorie recipe is a deliciously light and flavoursome soup with dumplings that only comes to 153 calories per serving!
- 50g/2oz fresh breadcrumbs
- 50g/2oz freshly grated Parmesan
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 large egg
- knob of butter
- 15 mls olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, left whole
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- mixture of vegetables – 6 carrots, 4 leeks, 2 stalks celery, all chopped
- 1 onion, studded with cloves
- bay leaf
- 2 sprig(s) fresh thyme
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- freshly grated Parmesan, to serve
- To make the dumplings, on a large board, mix together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and nutmeg, and season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Make a well in centre and mix in egg.
- Knead well together for about 3 mins. Form into tiny balls and put to one side.
- In a large saucepan, add butter, oil and garlic and cook for 2 mins, then add chopped onion, carrots, leeks and celery.
- Cook for about 5 mins, till vegetables begin to soften, stirring continuously.
- Pour in 3 litres/5¼ pints water, add studded onion, bay leaf and thyme, and season well.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 30 mins. Allow to cool slightly, then strain through a sieve and return stock to pan (keep some of the veg to add to soup).
- When ready to serve, bring to boil, add dumplings and parsley and boil gently for 2 mins, till dumplings are cooked.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and parsley, and serve.
Serves 6 – Serving size 1/6 recipe – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 153, Fat: 6g, Carbohydrate: 19g