You can prepare a nutritious, healthy meal that the whole family will love to eat! This dish can be served many ways so there are also suggestions for using any Turkey Chilli that is left over.
Lower Calorie Slow Cooker Turkey Chilli Recipe
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- Salt and pepper for seasoning, optional
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 15-oz. cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 14.5-oz. cans diced tomatoes with juice
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 Tbsp. plus ½ tsp. chilli powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 cup water
Serves: 9 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories 210, Fat 2g, Carbohydrate 27g, Fibre 6g, Sugar 4g, Protein 22g
- Coat a large pan with olive oil spray and heat over medium-high.
- Cook turkey for about 7 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper if desired and breaking up large pieces with a spoon.
- Place cooked turkey and all remaining ingredients in a slow cooker; mix well.
- Set temperature to low, cover, and cook for about 8 hours. The internal temperature should exceed 165˚F.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Makes 9 servings based on 1 cup portions.
- Serve a portion of chilli with a piece of corn bread
- Top a bed of salad greens with a portion chilli, sprinkle with reduced-fat cheese and serve with a few baked tortilla chips
- Top a baked potato with a portion of chilli
- Toss a portion of chilli with 1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta
Turkey Chilli Baked Potato
- 4 (5 1/2 oz) potatoes
- 1 cup turkey chilli
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives or spring onions
- reduced fat sour cream or Greek yogurt for topping (optional)
- Poke holes in the potato with a fork, then cook in the microwave using the baked potato setting until potatoes are soft and cooked through (about 8-10 minutes on high for 4 potatoes).
- If you don’t have a microwave, bake about 45 minutes at 400°F.
- Split the potato in half lengthwise down the middle.
- Top with 1/4 cup shredded cheese, 1/4 cup of turkey chilli, and 1 teaspoon of chives.
Serving Size: 5-1/2 oz potato, 1/4 cup chilli, 1/4 cup cheese
Calories 281, Fat: 7g, Carbohydrate: 40g, Fibre: 3g, Protein: 22g, Sugar: 4g