Fettuccine Alfredo doesn’t have to be high in fat and this is a low fat fettuccine Alfredo recipe. You could also try a lower calorie Chicken Alfredo Bake instead!
Skinny Chicken Alfredo Bake
Adding broccoli will help to cut the calories without cutting the portion size, and also adding some garlic and lots of sharp Parmesan to boost the flavour. The result, a fabulous, filling and flavourful dish for only 287 calories!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons organic all purpose flour
- 3 cups 1% milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 box whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 5 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large sauce pan cook the pasta according to the package.
- Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 370 degrees.
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper both sides and grill for 5 minutes each side until the center is white. Remove and chop into cubes and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan melt butter on medium low and add the flour, stir in a figure 8 for about 5 minutes until it browns and becomes a thick paste (this is a roux) then add the milk and garlic clove, stir often so it does not burn. (Tip: If you add the milk a little at a time and mix it in well as you go it will prevent the sauce becoming lumpy)
- Cook the sauce on medium low sauce until it just coats the back of your spoon, about 20 minutes. Remove 1/3 of the sauce to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the pasta, chicken, broccoli and the pepper to the Alfredo sauce and mix well so every piece of pasta is coated.
- Turn off heat and put the mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top with the remainder of the Alfredo sauce and the cheese and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Serves 9 – Each serving (approximately 1 cup) has: Calories: 287, Fat: 6, Fibre: 5, Protein: 13, Carbohydrates: 43