This is a light and healthy alternative to classic Moussaka. Not only significantly lower in calories, and saturated fat than the traditional version, it is higher in dietary fibre and other key nutrients like vitamin C. It is low carb, gluten free, and absolutely delicious!
- 3 medium sized eggplants
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1/2 diced red pepper
- 1/2 diced green pepper
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 4 mild Italian turkey sausages
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 796 ml tin diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup no sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup sliced black or Kalamata olives
- 2 cups unsweetened Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup grated Grueyere cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Serves 6 – Serving Size 1/6 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 211, Fat: 9 grams
- Saute the ground turkey, Italian turkey sausage that’s been removed from its casings, and the diced white onion in a large non stick frying pan that’s been lightly sprayed with olive oil over medium high heat.
- Use your spatula to break up the sausage meat and blend it with the ground turkey.
- Continue to saute until all of the moisture is released from the meat browning further by pressing it down into the pan.
- When the meat is fully cooked, add the diced red and green peppers and the diced zucchini.
- Add the minced garlic, black pepper, Italian seasoning, ground cinnamon, allspice, diced organic tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar.
- Mix well so that all the flavours come together.
- Add 1 cup of no sodium chicken broth, bring it to the boil,
turn heat to a low simmer and leave uncovered, continuing to stir periodically for an hour or until the sauce is thick and the vegetables are soft and incorporated into the sauce.
- Peel the egg plants and cut them into 1/2 inch slices. Place them onto paper towel and sprinkle with the half tsp salt. Let them sit for 30 minutes.
- Take the sauce off the heat, set it aside, and then in a dry non stick pan over medium heat fry the sliced zucchini about a minute a side.
- Place half of the fried egg plant into the bottom of a deep lasagna dish that has been lightly sprayed with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Cover with the sauce. Place another layer of egg plant over that.
- Mix the Greek yoghurt with the eggs, cheese, salt, nutmeg, and pepper and spread the sauce over the top of your casserole.
- Bake for an hour in a 350 degree oven until everything is golden and beautiful.
- Let rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.