Fra Diavolo is Italian for “Brother Devil” and this dish is so named because of the heat from the crushed red pepper flakes. It’s easy to make and comes together in about 30 minutes total so it’s perfect for a busy week night, you can easily halve it to make less. If you don’t like basil, fresh parsley works great in it’s place and of course, you can adjust the heat to your taste.
~ Lower Calorie Shrimp Fra Diavolo ~
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6-7 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 35 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 8 fresh basil leaves, rolled and sliced thin
- 12 oz whole wheat, high fibre or brown rice pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- While the water is heating up, heat 2 teaspoons of the
olive oil in a large heavy pan over medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until golden, about one minute.
- Add the shrimp and cook 2-3 minutes to brown but not cook through; sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Transfer the shrimp to a plate, leaving garlic in the pan.
- Add pasta to water and cook according to package directions for al dente.
- Pour the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and add the celery and onions; cook 2 minutes then add the crushed tomatoes, season with salt and crushed red pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook another minute or two; remove from heat.
- Add the capers and serve in a large bowl over pasta topped with fresh basil, fresh black pepper and parmesan cheese on the side.
If you are watching your carbs, this is great with spaghetti squash or even a bowl of lightly steamed vegetables. If you are on a gluten-free diet you could use brown rice pasta instead.
Serves 6 – Serving Size: 2 oz pasta, 1/6th of shrimp sauce – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 376, Fat: 5g, Protein: 30g, Carbohydrate: 54g, Fibre: 6g, Sugar: 6g