If you love crumble desserts, then this healthy recipe keeps the fat and sugar down to a minimum, without compromising on flavour or texture. Made with sugary pears, tangy rhubarb and cinnamon, the flavours combine to make this quintessential English pudding delicious. If you don’t like rhubarb then try it with apples and mixed berries instead.
- 900 g rhubarb, cut into 5cm pieces
- 300 g pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- Juice of 1 orange, plus 1 tsp finely grated zest
- 6 tbsp artificial sweetener
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the topping:
- 30 g low-fat spread
- 2 tbsp artificial sweetener
- 60 g plain flour
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4.
- Make the topping by placing the low-fat spread, sweetener and flour in a bowl and rubbing together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Place the rhubarb in a medium-size pie or glass dish.
- Add the pear slices, orange juice and zest, and toss together to combine.
- Sprinkle over the sweetener and cinnamon, and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the fruit from the oven.
- Sprinkle over the topping and cook for a further 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving – it tastes great
- You can serve it with a dollop of low-fat, ready-made custard and you can serve it warm or cold.