This fried rice dish is made with brown rice, shrimp and pineapple. A wonderful combination of savoury, sweet and spicy. This can be served in a hollowed out pineapple, but if you’d rather not go through the extra work of hollowing out a pineapple – use tinned pineapple and simply serve this in a dish.
~ Lower Calorie Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice ~
- 1 1/2 cups (uncooked) brown rice
- 1 tsp oil
- 1.25 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined, (1lb after peeled) chopped into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into small chunks (you can use unsweetened tinned instead!)
- 5 large spring onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh chilli pepper or jalepeno, chopped
- 2 tsp soy sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- cilantro for garnish
- Cook brown rice according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- Cut a pineapple in half and hollow out both halves to make two bowls.
- Cut a piece off the bottom of the pineapple halves to create a flat base. Cut the pineapple into small pieces and set aside.
- If you want to use tinned instead, drain the juice from the pineapple and miss out steps 2 + 3!
- Heat a nonstick wok on high heat; when hot add oil.
- Add shrimp and cook a few minutes until almost cooked though. Set shrimp aside.
- Add the spring onions, chilli and garlic to the wok.
- Saute about a minute, then add the rice and pineapple and stir a few times.
- Add soy sauce and fish sauce, stir to mix all the ingredients
and cook another 30 seconds.
- Place in hollowed out pineapple cut in half lengthwise or serve in bowls.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1/4 – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 365, Fat: 4g, Protein: 24g, Carbohydrate: 58g, Fibre: 3g, Sugar: 6g