Successful weight loss involves a host of factors, and many people ignore an important part of that equation.
Easy To Remember Tips To Become Portion Aware
- Before Eating, Divide The Plate – Here’s a simple rule to portion a plate properly: Divide it in half. Automatically fill one side with fruits or vegetables, leaving the rest for equal parts protein and starch. This way, you begin to see what a properly balanced meal looks like. Spaghetti and meatballs? Steak and potatoes? They’re only half a meal and incomplete without fruits and vegetables.
- Pre-Portion Tempting Treats – The bigger the package, the more food you’ll pour out of it.
- Downsize The Dishes – If you’re one of the 54% of people who eat until their plates are clean, make sure those plates are modestly sized. On a standard 8- to 10-inch dinner plate, a portion of spaghetti looks like a meal. On a 12- to 14-inch dinner plate, it looks meagre, so you’re likely to dish out a bigger portion to fill the plate.
- Limit Your Choices – The more options you have, the more you want to try.
- Turn Off The Television – TV distracts you from how much you’re eating, and the more you watch, the more you’re likely to eat.
- Think Before You Drink – Pour cranberry juice into two glasses of equal volume: one short and wide, the other tall and thin. Most people pour 19% more cranberry juice in the short glass because the eye is a poor judge of volume in relation to height and width.
- Not all portion control strategies are about eating less. You can have as much as you want of some foods. Place the foods you want your family to eat more of, like salads and vegetables within easy reach on the dining table.