This is a baked chicken breast topped with skinny basil pesto, tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Quick and easy to make, you can serve this with pasta or zucchini noodles (zoodles) for a low-carb meal.
~ Pesto Chicken Bake ~
- 2 (16 oz total) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 4 tsp Skinny Basil Pesto
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
- 6 tbsp (1.5 oz) shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp grated parmesan cheese
- Wash chicken and dry with a paper towel.
- Slice chicken breast horizontally to create 4 thinner cutlets.
- Season lightly with salt and fresh pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Line baking sheet with foil or parchment for easy clean-up.
- Place the chicken on prepared baking sheet.
- Spread 1 tsp of skinny pesto over each piece of chicken.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in centre.
- Remove from oven; top with tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1 piece – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 236, Fat: 11.5 g, Carbohydrate: 2.5 g, Fibre: 0.5 g, Protein: 28.5 g
Skinny Pesto Recipe
- 1 cup basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- In a food processor pulse basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Slowly add the olive oil while pulsing.
- Store in a sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use or you can freeze this in ziplocks bags to use at a later date.
Serves 5 – Serving Size: 1 tbsp – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 86, Fat: 8.3 g, Protein: 2.3 g, Carbohydrate: 0.8 g, Fibre: 0.3 g