Hot sandwiches make a fabulous meal, and shrimp parmesan heroes are really tasty , but if you order this as a take-away it would be high in calories because of the deep fried shrimp and masses of cheese and sauce. So this is a lighter version using a healthy breaded shrimp, part-skim mozzarella cheese and you can also serve it with extra sauce on the side to dip.
Healthy Breaded Shrimp
- 16 oz jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (weight after peeling 12.5 oz)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 6 tbsp whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp panko
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Cooking spray
For the sandwich
- 1/2 cup your favourite tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 12 oz French bread, sliced into 4 pieces
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Put the egg substitute in one bowl, and the breadcrumbs, panko and parmesan cheese in another.
- Wash and dry the shrimp. Season shrimp with salt and pepper, then put a few at a time in the bowl with the egg substitute to coat.
- Put a few pieces of shrimp at a time into the breadcrumb mixture to coat, then on a baking sheet.
- Once all the shrimp is breaded, if you still have crumbs left, re-dip the shrimp back into the egg beaters and then back into crumbs and back onto the baking sheet.
- Spray the top of the shrimp generously with baking spray then bake in the middle rack for about 6-7 minutes. Turn shrimp over then cook another 3 minutes or until cooked though.
- Remove from oven and serve right away with lemon wedges or make into the sandwich.
- To make the sandwich – First set your grill to low.
- Divide shrimp equally between 4 pieces of bread.
- Top each sandwich with 2 tbsp of sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and grill until the cheese melts; 2 – 3 minutes, careful not to burn if using the grill.
Tip: If you scoop out some of the bread you can make larger sandwiches for less calories.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1 hero sandwich – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 432, Fat: 8g, Protein: 29g, Carbohydrate: 57g, Fibre: 3g