Onion soup is a great way to warm up on a cold day! Onion soup is a classic, and although it takes a bit of time to cook down the onions, there are only a few ingredients and the techniques are pretty simple.
~ Lower Calorie Onion Soup ~
- 2 pounds yellow onions, sliced thin
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup Cognac or brandy
- 1/4 cups white wine
- 9 cups beef stock
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 medium slices toasted Italian bread
- 6 slices reduced fat Swiss cheese
- In a large pot, sauté the onions with the butter over medium heat, until the onions are soft and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Add flour, mixing well another 2-3 minutes.
- Add thyme, bay leaf, sherry, wine and brandy, and simmer uncovered for 10 more minutes.
- Add the beef stock, salt & pepper to taste, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and ladle 1-1/2 cups soup into 6 oven-proof bowls.
- Place bowls on a baking sheet.
- Place sliced toasted bread rounds into each bowl and top bread with cheese.
- Grill 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese melts.
Serves 6 – Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 312, Fat: 11g, Protein: 18g, Carbohydrate: 32g, Fibre: 3g