This recipe for Low Calorie Swedish Meatballs is a comfort food classic, you can make it quickly, easily, and it’s lightened up too!
Ingredients for the meatballs:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8oz (200 gm) 95% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs from fresh or stale bread
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup water (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cube chicken bullion (reduced salt)
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients and mix well.
- Make 10 balls from this mixture, and bake for 17 to 20 minutes.
- Take out the meatballs from the oven and immediately cover, this will keep them moist.
- Now start making the sauce.
Method for the sauce:
- Add butter to hot pan.
- Add the flour and stir for two minutes on medium heat.
- Add bullion to water, it won’t mix but will make it easy when making the sauce.
- Add the previous mixture to the flour and butter, stir continuously to prevent lumps. When thick add the black pepper and the meatballs.
- Let it simmer on low heat for 2 minutes. Serve hot.
The calories have been cut down enough to let you enjoy this dish with mashed potato on the side. If you do decide to have mashed potato as a side dish, do not add salt, butter, or milk to it. This gravy is so rich that the mashed potato will absorb the entire flavour and you will not miss a thing.