This is a really good sausage/marinara combination, if you are not a wheat eater, put the sausage combo over polenta with some oven-roasted zucchini and carrot, and it is still delicious. Eaten with a hoagie roll the hearty filling of veggies and turkey sausage will get rave reviews from adults and kids alike.
- 4 (2-ounce) hoagie rolls, halved lengthwise
- 9 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch-thick pieces
- 1/2 cup prechopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2.25 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- Preheat grill to high.
- Hollow out top halves of rolls.
- Arrange rolls, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Grill until toasted then set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage to pan; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion and garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add marinara, bell pepper, and black pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until bell pepper is crisp-tender.
- Arrange about 3/4 cup sausage mixture over bottom half of each roll
- Sprinkle each serving with about 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet and grill for 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Top with top halves of rolls.
Serves 4 – Serving Size 1 roll – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 309, Fat: 7g, Protein: 21g, Carbohydrate: 28g, Fibre: 3g