If you fancy something a little different; something with a little flavour and spice to wake up your taste buds, then why not try this fast and easy recipe for Huevos Rancheros – Mexican Eggs with Ranchero Sauce?
Lower Calorie Tomatillo Huevos Rancheros
This dish is gluten-free and perfect for Meatless Mondays as a lunch or dinner. To make it a main meal serve this with a big salad or some Fiesta Lime Rice (recipe below) on the side.
- 4 corn tostadas
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 spring onion, minced
- 1 cup prepared tomatillo salsa (salsa verde)
- Pinch of cumin
- 4 large eggs
- 2 oz shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 small diced tomato
- 8 cilantro leaves
- Heat the tostadas according to package directions.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and add spring onion, cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add salsa verde, pinch of cumin and simmer covered until hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
- When hot , reduce heat to medium-low and gently add the eggs, season with a little salt and pepper and cover until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- To serve, place a tortilla on each plate, top with the cooked egg and salsa verde, then finish with cheese, lettuce, tomato and cilantro.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1 tostada – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 185, Fat: 10 g, Carbohydrate: 12 g, Fibre: 1 g, Protein: 11 g, Sugar: 2 g
Fiesta Lime Rice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and heated
- 3/4 cup cooked corn, heated
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 large spring onion, diced fine
- 2-4 tbsp chopped cilantro (to your liking)
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine hot rice, heated corn, heated beans, tomato, spring onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt if needed.
- Toss and serve.
Serves 4 – Serving Size: 1 cup – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 152, Fat: 0.8g, Protein: 6g, Carbohydrate: 33g, Fibre: 4g, Sugar: 2g