Wake up to these muffins – start your day off right! Today we have two recipes to make these healthy bran muffins, the first recipe is a more traditional version, and our second recipe is lightly sweetened with honey, fresh blueberries and coconut flakes. So moist and delicious, you won’t even realize they are light. Enjoy one for breakfast with a cup of coffee or tea and you will be set up for the day.
Lower Calorie Honey Bran Muffins
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or skimmed milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 12 oz blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a muffin tin with 16 liners.
- Combine the wheat bran, wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Stir in nuts and coconut.
- In a separate bowl, blend applesauce, almond milk, honey, coconut oil, vanilla and egg.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon into paper-lined muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Serves 16 – Serving Size: 1 muffin – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 144, Fat: 5g, Protein: 4g, Carbohydrate: 24g, Fibre: 4g, Sugar: 10g