Today we have two healthy chicken pot pie recipes. The first recipe shows you the smart short cuts you can take to get this comfort-food classic on the table without a lot of work.The second recipe has 52% fewer calories and 76% less fat than the traditional recipe, but tastes just as good! If you don’t want to cook the chicken, look for cut-up cooked chicken near the other cooked meats or in the freezer section of the grocery store. Rotisserie chicken can also be used.
Healthier Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 bag mixed vegetables, frozen
- 3 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, black
- 1 1/4 cup milk, fat-free
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, reduced-fat, reduced-sodium, condensed
- 1/4 cup sour cream, light or fat-free
- 4 pieces chicken, breast, boneless, skinless, cooked and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 whole pie crust dough, refrigerated, single crust, softened as directed on box
- Cook and drain vegetables as directed on bag.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium saucepan, mix flour, salt, poultry seasoning, pepper and milk with wire whisk until blended.
- Stir in onion.
- Cook over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Stir in soup and sour cream.
- Add chicken and cooked vegetables; mix well.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until thoroughly heated.
- Pour into un-greased 2-quart round casserole.
- Unroll pie crust; place over hot filling.
- Seal edge and flute as desired.
- Cut slits in several places in crust.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and mixture is bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 8 – Serving Size 1/8 of the pie – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 260, Fibre: 2g, Carbohydrate: 27g, Protein: 18g, Fat: 9g