The marinade that goes with this recipe is wonderful with chicken, but it would also be fantastic on pork, beef, and lamb. There are 160 calories in a 4 piece serving of Chicken Spiedies not including the bread. So if you serve this with a large fresh salad you will have a quick and delicious evening meal!
Ingredients for about 6 skewers:
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (or any boneless meat!)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup wine wine vinegar
- 1 rounded tablespoon sugar
- 6-8 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup picked mint leaves
- Combine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, mint, garlic, sugar,
oregano, basil, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper in
a blender. Puree until liquefied, for about 30 seconds.
- Place chicken thighs in a large resealable plastic bag, pour in marinade and massage to coat. Squeeze out excess air and seal the bag.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat the grill and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove chicken and place on the skewers and season with salt.
- Pour the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Place skewers on the preheated grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turn and cook until the chicken is no longer
pink in the centre and the juices run clear, 5 to 6 more minutes.
- Remove from grill and rest the meat for a few minutes.
- Toast hoagie rolls and spread each with some of the reserved marinade.
- Place a skewer on each roll and carefully remove the skewer, leaving the chicken in the bun.
Serves 6 – Serving Size 1/6 recipe – Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 160, Carbohydrate: 12g, Fat: 6g, Fibre: 4g, Protein: 9g